Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I'm a Musical Benjamin Button

I'm not quite sure what's been happening to me over the past few years, but I feel like I've done a complete 360 when it comes to music.  My love affair with music is long standing and well documented.  From a very early age, I've loved music...not making it (besides singing off key), but listening, learning about it, seeing it live.  When I was very young, I was at the mercy of my mother in terms of what I got to listen to.  She would (and still does) listen to K-EARTH 101, our local oldies station, religiously.  As a grade-schooler, I could sing any Beatles song.  I knew all about 60's folk music, and thought Motown was the coolest thing since sliced bread. 

In junior high, my life changed when I heard Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode.  I think I was probably 12 when I first heard it on the world famous KROQ.  It was like magic...the most wonderful song ever.  To this day, it's my all-time favorite song.  Ever.  Amazing.  Before I knew it, I had every Depeche Mode tape and knew every single song.  In the 6th grade, I made a deal with my mom that if I got straight A's for an entire school year, she'd buy me the Depeche Mode 101 CD set.  I still listen to that thing.  The Cure followed, and The Smiths, and the Lightning Seeds, and a little U2 (but just a little).  I'm not sure why, but I completely ignored the pop music that most kids my age were listening to and opted instead for the British stuff intended for an older audience. 

College was a much more acoustic time for me.  It was all Phish, Grateful Dead, and Indigo Girls.  Pretty typical for a 20 year old girl in the late 90's.  The rest of my 20's were pretty normal...mainly stuff you'd hear on KCRW.  A little indie, a little hippie-dippy, some electronica mixed in for good measure. 

It wasn't until I had kids that things took a drastic turn.  Up until that point, I always prided myself on having great taste in music.  People came to me for mixed tapes/CD's.  I was on my A-Game.  But it all changed around 2010.  I blame the Disney Channel.  While on maternity leave, I spent a lot of time, perhaps too much, watching the Disney Channel.  Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, Sonny with a Chance...all that crap.  Before I knew it, Miley Cyrus's Party in the USA was my jam!  WTF. 

And now, I'm 34, with two kids.  NOW is when I should be listening to KCRW.  Instead, I'm kind of obsessed with One Direction, like a 14 year old girl.  Not even 'kind of obsessed'...I'd say it's full-blown.  And now my 2-year old loves them because I listen to them so much in the car. But seriously, they're kind of adorable.

 
I'm not sure what the point of this post is, besides maybe a cry for help?  Ugh, I'm going to listen to some Radiohead to see if that snaps me out of it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment